Update as of 9:45 pm ET:
February 29th, the first death from coronavirus (COVID-19) was reported in the US.
The patient was in his 50s and had underlying health conditions, according to state health officials. For more details – Medscape: US Reports First Death From COVID-19, in Washington State
Community spread in Washington also resulted in the first reported case of COVID-19 in a healthcare worker and the first potential outbreak in a long-term care facility.
There are now 68 confirmed cases of coronavirus in the US For current count: Worldometer. com
Two related news articles:
- NBC News: Washington State Man Becomes First U.S. Death From Coronavirus
- The Hill: Officials announce possible coronavirus outbreak in Washington nursing facility
The following report comes from the CDC’s Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Situation Summary on 2/28/20
- Sick travelers have spread the virus person-to-person in the US to close contacts.
- One person with no reported travel history or exposure has before sick with the virus.
- At this time, the virus is NOT spreading in the US.
- The potential public health threat is high globally and in the US.
- More cases likely to be reported in the US in the coming days.
- There is no vaccine or medication to treat this virus at this time, however, there are tests to determine if someone has the virus.
- The immediate risk of the virus to Americans is still considered to be low.
It is important to note that the risk of complications from the virus to healthy adults and healthy children is low. For those who contract the virus, more than 80% will have mild or no symptoms, however, they are able to pass the virus to others.
Question from a reader: Is there an update on the two people in California who were diagnosed?
There is evidence of community transmission in California as a new case was reported overnight. Many people who have come in contact with the woman have been quarantined. Two more evacuees tested positive in California and are under quarantine in two separate facilities. It is important to note that people under quarantine are not necessarily extremely sick. They are there to keep the disease from spreading, especially from spreading to those who are vulnerable to complications from the disease.
One California patient is in serious condition and they have not been able to trace where she got the virus.
Ten of the 68 cases of coronavirus in the US are in California.
Here is a good source for information on what is going on in California – Los Angeles Times: New coronavirus cases in California spark fears of wider spread (2/28/20)
New news articles and resources: