I have been getting many messages from worried friends about the novel coronavirus from Wuhan City, Hubei Province, China; therefore, I have decided to provide a detailed summary daily/biweekly. I will also include reputable news links for you.
This summary comes from the CDC’s Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Situation Summary.
CDC Report from 2/27/20
- Sick travelers have spread the virus person-to-person in the US to close contacts.
- One person with no reported travel history or exposure has before sick with the virus.
- At this time, the virus is NOT spreading in the US.
- It is likely person-to-person spread will occur in the US leading to large numbers of people needing medical care.
- There is no vaccine or medication to treat this virus at this time.
- There IS an immediate risk of the virus to Americans, but it is LOW at this time.
- NBC News: Where did the new coronavirus come from? Past outbreaks provide hints (2/28/20)
- U.S. News: WHO Raises Global Risk from Coronavirus to ‘Very High’ (2/28/20)
- New York Times: Most Coronavirus Cases Are Mild. That’s Good and Bad News (2/27/20)